Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Daifukumochi

#2 and I are great fans of this Japanese dessert. Where she prefers the plain Anko daifuku (red bean mochi), I am inclined towards the Ichigo daifuku (strawberry mochi). I've made this many times and I've tried various recipes. I make my own Anko because I don't like the can ones available in Jaya Jusco - it's incredibly sweet.

I still prefer the recipe given to me by my friend Alice.

Recipe:

150g Joshinko (Loh Mai Fun/rice flour)
80g Fine sugar
270ml water
kinako or katakuriko for dusting
5 - 8 strawberries (depending on size)

Method:
1. Put Joshinko, sugar and water into a microwaveable bowl and whisk till all ingredients are combined. (Optional: You can add a few drops of pink coloring if you want).
2. Put into microwave at medium heat for 3 minutes. After that bring out and mix paste well.
3. Put back into microwave for another 3 minutes on medium. Bring it out and mix the paste well again.
4.Put back into microwave for another 1 minute on medium.
(While in the microwave for the second and third time, the mochi paste should expand and deflate like a balloon). When ready, the mochi looks semi-transparent and is pliable.
5. The mochi is very hot and you have to be careful because you need to work with your hands.
6. Dust hands and tools with katakuriko.
7. Dust a stiff plastic spatula with katakuriko, cut up about a 'golf ball' size of mochi and use hands (dusted with katakuriko) to flatten the mochi out and fill with Anko and Strawberry (optional). Wrap up by picking up the opposite corners and pressing them together to seal it.
8. Roll in katakuriko before packing in a box and into fridge.
9. Enjoy!!!

7 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

hey bento, 'loh mei fun' is glutinous rice flour. can i use sweet potato flour in place of katakoriku??

Bento Pet said...

terri: I guess you can use sweet potato flour in place of katakuriko. Let me know how it turns out.
This one is really nice!!

Anonymous said...

Hello bento, what should if I do not own any microwave oven?? =(

Bento Pet said...

dreamer-dreamz: I think that there are some recipes which recommend steaming if you don't have a microwave oven. I'm not sure how long it takes because I've not tried it.

It's easy to check, just Google it and I'm sure you'll find a solution!

Cheers!

Diyana said...

hi, I tried you recipe. Everything went fine until the part where i had to handle the dough. it was very sticky!!! In terms of looks, my mochi failed miserably, but it tastes just right.

i substituted d katakuriko with corn flour.

any tips in handling the dough?

the nest time you make mochi, can you put up pictures of step by step, if u r free lar.
thanks.

Bento Pet said...

diyana: The dough is VERY sticky so you need to dust it with katakuriko.

Your work place or plate need to have enough katakuriko too, so does your knife and hands.

Diyana said...

i made some more today. looks better. using different ratios this time. do drop by my page n tell me wat you think. (based on how it looks lar. >_<)

thanks!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Learn a WORD a day!

How's your spelling?

Your Spelling is Perfect
You got 10/10 correct.

Your spelling is excellent. You also have a great memory and eye for detail.
You Are Cilantro
The bad news is that there are some people who can't stand you.
The good news is that most people love you more than anything else in the world.
You are distinct, unusual, fresh, and very controversial. And you wouldn't have it any other way.