Friday, April 25, 2008

SPAM MUSUBI

Occasionally, I treat myself and the girls with SPAM. More often than not, I would make Spam Musubi.

This is an all time Hawaiian 'sushi' favorite! Much as I have heard about Hawaii, I have never been there. But thanks to the internet, I've visited many interesting sites and learnt many different but interesting recipes. I have also found out that the Spam Musubi is an icon of the Hawaiian local cuisine, and are sold practically everywhere in Hawaii.

Recipe:
1 can of SPAM
2 cups of rice
2 1/2 cups of water
**sushi vinaigrette for rice
1/4 cup shoyu
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/2 cup sugar
Nori sheets

Method:

1. Slice the SPAM and marinate in oyster, shoyu and sugar for at least 15 minutes. Remember to flip over to marinate the other side.


2. Wash and cook the rice - 2 *cups rice and 2 1/2 cups water.

*The cup used here is from the rice cooker. One cup from the rice cooker cup is equivalent to three quarters of the standard measuring cup.
Don't ask me why because that's what I found out when I made comparisons. And that's why I don't like using 'cup' measurements for baking, I find it inconsistent.

3. When rice is cooked, mix sushi **vinaigrette as you do for sushi rice.
(**this is optional, but I like the combination). Leave to cool.



4. Prepare a 'box like' container if you do not have a sushi press.
5. Meanwhile, oil a pan and start frying the marinated SPAM. Some parts will caramelize and turn black because of the sugar but it's delicious, just don't burn it!

6. Stuff the sushi rice into the sushi press and compact the rice into a firm block. Remove rice block out of the sushi press and line top with fried SPAM.


7. Wrap with a piece of Nori.


8. Slice the block of Spam Musubi into six or eight pieces (depending on the size of your sushi press).
9. Enjoy!

2 comments:

psychocellochica said...

It's so funny to me to hear Spam being called a treat. I live on the east coast of the USA, and here, Spam is considered a 'low class' food, something you buy only if you can't afford anything better.

Which, now that I think of it, is funny because fresh ground beef is actually cheaper than Spam when it's on sale.

I'm 25, and i can honestly say I've only had Spam two or three times in my life. And the only times I've had it, it was served fried as a breakfast food with eggs and potatoes.

Bento Pet said...

psychocellochica: Here in Malaysia Spam costs 2.5X more than similar canned meat from China. It's always placed in the 'premium' pork section.

We love Spam but because it's quite costly, we eat it occasionally. Funny isn't it, in different parts of the world the same kind of food is ranked differently?

Thanks for the comment!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Learn a WORD a day!

How's your spelling?

Your Spelling is Perfect
You got 10/10 correct.

Your spelling is excellent. You also have a great memory and eye for detail.
You Are Cilantro
The bad news is that there are some people who can't stand you.
The good news is that most people love you more than anything else in the world.
You are distinct, unusual, fresh, and very controversial. And you wouldn't have it any other way.