I've made a slide show on how to make an all purpose dashi. Personally, I never use packaged dashi because nothing beats fresh dashi. Once you know how to make it, it becomes very easy and becomes an asset in the kitchen because you can use it to cook in so many ways.
The ingredients are:
2 litres of cold water
2 inch kombu - wipe with a wet cloth, do not wash
One and a half cup of katsuobushi
- Soak kombu in cold water for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, the kombu will double up in size.
- Bring water and soaked kombu to an almost boil (about 7 minutes).
- Do not boil kombu in the water because it will give a bitter or awkward taste.
- Once the water has almost come to a boil, remove the kombu.
- Pour the one and a half cup of dashi into the hot water.
- Bring to boil and switch off the fire immediately.
- Skim of scum if any.
- After 15 minutes, sieve dashi into another pot.
- Use as required or keep in a Tupperware in the fridge. Can keep up to one week.
|Make a Smilebox slideshow|