Unfortunately too many things are happening at one time and I’ve been hit by all life’s challenges all at once!
- Hubs and #1 leaves for Australia in a couple of hours to participate in the World Youth Day celebrations from 15th – 20th July in Sydney.
- #2 has incessant rehearsals at ungodly hours for the upcoming musical which debuts on 11th July and runs till 13th July.
- The Mega sale has just started and things are being sold at ridiculous prices.
- My blog has reached it’s 100th Bento post and is one year old on the 29th of July 2008!
I notice that many people start to Bento and after a period of time, the passion dies off. This includes me, especially when life's' challenges become too difficult to handle and when we become busy elsewhere and we tend to take leave from Bento.
To get back into the Bento-action is almost impossible sometimes. I've gone through that roller coaster and it almost cost me the closure of this blog. *shivers at the thought*.
After sending Hubs and #1 off, I sent #2 to KLCC for her rehearsal. I shopped for a while and managed to get some stuff for the Winners Prize haul that I am putting up for the Bento competition. I also picked up some things from the 100 Yen store and I hope it's good enough to lure you Bento enthusiasts to submit a Bento for Bento Pet's Bento Competition.
The reason I am having this Bento competition is basically an incentive for people who are currently packing Bento. Please don't hate me. I am setting some criteria because I enjoy visiting Bento sites that are regularly updated and it inspires me that some people are so passionate about Bento-ing.
I've seen submissions for Bento competitions come in from first timers and even Bentos that don't really qualify as Bento - a sandwich and a fruit doesn't constitute a Bento (my personal opinion).
I feel disappointed that the regular Bento packers are not recognized because theirs was not a kyaraben (character) Bento. Don't get me wrong, I love kyaraben bentos. I am awed by what all the Japanese super mums are churning out for their kids. It's an ART form of it's kind flowed only from the love of these selfless mums.
But what about all the other 'regular people' who pack 'regular bentos'. I see them posting up on their blogs day after day, week after week and months after months. I'm inspired by their effort and their own creativeness. I feel their passion in updating their blogs with their Bentos - also made with care and much love. I want this competition to be for people like "us" - regular people packing regular bentos. I hope you understand.
Often we (yeah! I feel so too) get excited when someone drops a comment and it inspires us to keep going. When there is silence, we continue to plod on until the next challenge comes along to break our spirit or to inspire us to continue. I'm sure many of us Bento packers feel this way.
So, all said and done, I hope you don't get angry with my comments, which are solely my opinions and not meant to insult anyone.
The criteria for Bento Pet's Bento Competition will be:
- You must be currently packing bentos.
- You currently own a blog, please provide your blog link.
- Your blog must have at least blogged about ten bentos made by you.
- You may make a new bento for this competition or send in an old picture of Bento made by you. You may add some kawaii accessories, e.g. food picks, sauce bottles etc.
- This competition does not accept Kyaraben bentos (THOUSAND APOLOGIES). You can however have shaped onigiri or other food stuff using cutters or shapers.
- Describe your bento components. It does not necessarily have to follow the 3:2:1 formula but require some variety.
- Please provide your name and which country you are from.
- Entry deadline will be the date of my blog's first anniversary. i.e. 29th July 2008.
- (edit) Please e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- (edit) Please link back to this post: http://onabentofrenzy.blogspot.com/2008/07/bento-pets-bento-competition.html
- (edit) If possible please include this icon
- (edit) More than one entry accepted but only the best, if selected will be posted.
I know that by putting up this post, I'm opening myself to much criticism. I plead for your understanding and ask of you to support my quest to promote and affirm 'us', the regular Bento packers.
So, for the rest of 'us' please send in your bento's ASAP (as soon as possible) to win this:
One packet of kawaii bag clips.
One pink Hello Kitty bag.
One pack of 4 pieces Hello Kitty color pencils.
One white 2 tier Bento box - 500ml capacity.
One Tulip wiener cutter.
One scoring wiener cutter.
Two face punches.
One insulated Winnie the Pooh bag (yellow).
One Rainbow Pooh Bento Box with divider (yellow) - 440ml capacity.
One Rainbow Pooh fruit box (yellow)- 200ml capacity.
One two tier Lube Sheep Bento box (blue) - 610ml capacity.
One packet of Japanese sweets.
One packet of dried Fu.
A close up look at the face punches.
One more close up shot.
All these items will go to the first prize winner of the Bento Pet Bento Competition. I will ship to the winner in any part of the world.
Sorry no Bento today. No more energy after shopping for this Winners prize haul!