Friday, July 18, 2008

Where to buy Bento gear?

Very often, I have been asked where I purchase my Bento boxes and accessories.
I live in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. The locations are around the vicinity of Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur.


1. My favorite is the Japanese 100Yen store. Most items in the shop sells for RM5/=. Currently, they sell minimal Bento items. I like to shop here because most of their Bento’s are made in Japan. Mostly, theirs are the traditional 2 tier Bentos that require a Bento strap
to keep together.

However, if you visit often enough, they do have occasional new items, which are few but far in between.
Bento items sold at the 100Yen store (when available) are basically:
• Bento boxes,

• Bento bags,

• Chopsticks for Bento,

• Cutlery for Bento,
• Kitchen utensils for Japanese food cooking and
• Some Japanese ingredients for Japanese cooking.


There is also other non-Bento related stuff too.
I’ve always been asked for the addresses so here it is.

100Yen outlet address:

• Petaling Jaya
52, Jalan SS2/61, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
• Taman Connaught
94, Jalan Cedas, Taman Connaught, 5600 Cheras
• Taman Pertama
63, Jalan 2/90, Taman Pertama, 3 ½ miles Cheras, 56000 K.L.
• Klang
10GF, Lorong Batu Nilam 3D, Bdr Bukit Tinggi Shoplots, 41200 Klang
• Puchong Jaya
18, Grd Flr, Jalan Bandar 7, Pusat Bandar Puchong, 47100 Selangor
• Sg. Long
32, Jalan SL6/6, Bdr Sg. Long, Batu 11 ¼, 4300 Cheras, Kajang

New 100Yen outlet opening after mid July in Uptown, Damansara Utama.
Opposite to Uptown Towers 2.


Below are samples of Bento's that I have purchased from them.



2. If you are buying for children, there are lots of Barbie, Thomas Train, Barney single layer lunch boxes where they even have a divider in between.

You can get these at:

• Parkson or Jusco at 1Utama.

• Isetan, in KLCC and most major departmental stores.


Look in the stationary section where they sell pencils and school bags.


3. If you are buying for adults and prefer something not so ‘cutesy’ then look up this brand “Lock & Lock”. It’s available in all the kitchen sections of major departmental stores (Parkson, Jusco, Isetan etc).

Very often, there is a 20% discount during the sale periods and
personally I think this is a great product. There are sectioned boxes, some remove-able some not. I like their small bottles, which I often use to freeze fruit juices for my kids.

I don’t use the Lock & Lock boxes for Bento but I do use them for freezing my stock for Bento. My frozen Gyoza, Spam musubi, Mac & Cheese, leftover cooked meats, spaghetti/pizza sauce etc, etc. goes into the varied sized boxes.

Best thing is they all come with snap locks on four sides and you don’t have to worry about spillage and spoilage. They are stain resistant, microwave
safe, freezer safe, and dishwasher safe. 4. Alternatively, if shopping and searching for a suitable Bento box from complex to complex is not on your agenda, then you can purchase on-line from the comfort of your own home.

To be honest, I’ve been conned before by e-bay sellers and having being singed, I’m quite skeptical about buying on-line.

When I found a local vendor “New Stylish Tokyo” selling some quite comprehensive Bento stuff on-line, I couldn’t resist the temptation and took the risk to purchase some stuff from them.

I’m happy to say that I am completely satisfied with their service and support.
I think most of their pricing is reasonable compared with many e-bay sellers and the best thing is, their postage/shipping cost is almost negligible (for local delivery).

Certain items may be on the high side if compared to what one would pay buying from Daiso. But the nearest outlet is in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah and the next one in Singapore.

New Stylish Tokyo shipping charges are cheap so it makes sense to buy from them because it balances off the cost of the item which makes it reasonable in the final calculations.

If you are intending to purchase on-line then there are lots more choices and with a little effort to research, you can have anything your budget permits.

Personally, the shipping cost is way beyond what I want to pay for. I noticed that often, the shipping cost is more than the item itself.

All said and done, I want to add that if you want to start to bento, you can go for the practical methods like using an existing Tupperware that you own at home or buy a practical container.

No need to go 'insane' like me hoarding up shelves and shelves of Bento gear. I excuse myself for this 'addiction' because I keep telling myself that it goes a long way just because I have 3 kids.

One already past the stage of taking Bento to school. One has another year and a half to go and the last kid who brings food that don't qualify as "Bento material" so I stopped blogging about her box for a while until I can get her eating 'food' again!

Disclaimer: Please be informed that I have no affiliations with the 100Yen stores or Lock & Lock or all the mentioned Departmental stores or New Stylish Tokyo other than being a regular paying customer. All opinions are mine personally and does not serve to be or claim to be an authority of any sort. I receive no monetory rewards or discounts from any of these mentioned stores (other than commercially available discounts for all customers) or any other companies or persons mentioned in this article.


10 comments:

Par said...

I usually order my bento items online but it's usually not cheap. There's a Japanese home supply store in my area but still it's not that cheap...haha.

I use the lock and lock, rarely buy cute looking boxes.

Emily said...

I did not have time to pop into Jusco the other day so I picked up a 500ml section plastic container from a mini mark! Guess it will do for the time being cos I dont intend to put in hot (panas) food into it!

Will definitely check out the Lock&Lock section soon! Thanks again Bento Pet!

Anonymous said...

I also ordered some item from NTS and now waiting for them to arrive. By the way you mention there is a Thomas and Train Bento Box, mind to tell me at which outlet. I am looking for it cos my Ee-Thern is super crazy over it.

By the way I did complaint to the store manager in 100 Yen Shop for bringing in Bento box and not the Bento straps. How on earth we are going to hold the Bento Box without the Bento Strap? Hopefully they will bring in some here.

Bento Pet said...

ms._________2be!: I think Lock & Lock are very practical and ideal for bento. Kids being kids like cutesy stuff....I've been influenced myself but I can be practical at times. Hehehe!

Online items ARE expensive. I try not to indulge. *wide grins*

Bento Pet said...

emily: Wow! You're catching on. 500ml container - you know what you want, that's great!

You're working on portioned foods, that means you're getting into a diet program. I might have to join you soon! Tell me how you're coping. I can't stand not eating - big problem with me. I LOVE FOOD!

Bento Pet said...

suesue: Gosh! I've forgotten where I saw them, it's either in one of the three outlets that I mentioned. *scratches head* Getting old! Sorry!

Actually the 100Yen store used to bring in the Bento straps but because the sale was slow they stopped purchasing the straps.

allthingspurple said...

I love NST ! they have lots of cool stuff. I used to shop at ebay cos those days NST only have cookie cutters. I have been bugging them to bring in bento accessories forever ! Now that Veronica is bringing in bento accessories, I have stopped buying from ebay. The shipping is killing !

Bento Pet said...

allthingspurple: Good for you. Now you have another option when purchasing on-line.

Niel said...

sorry that i mailed you before bumping into this post.. thanks for the list hun!

dancemom77 said...

I sell great priced bento supplies online and shipping is FREE! www.obentolunch4kidz.ecrater.com
www.obentolunch4kidz.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Learn a WORD a day!

How's your spelling?

Your Spelling is Perfect
You got 10/10 correct.

Your spelling is excellent. You also have a great memory and eye for detail.
You Are Cilantro
The bad news is that there are some people who can't stand you.
The good news is that most people love you more than anything else in the world.
You are distinct, unusual, fresh, and very controversial. And you wouldn't have it any other way.