Friday, September 19, 2008

BENTO #133

The season of the mid Autum festival has come and gone. While I was looking for descriptive articles to link to, just so some people who are not familiar with this festival the Chinese celebrate get to understand it a little better, I found this article which I thought didn't describe the sentiments explicitly enough as having coming from 'experience' rather, it was researched.

I then remembered Terri's article which I read last year and which transported me back to the days of yore. She describes the history, the superstitions and the personal journey in the simple celebration of the mid Autum festival to the tee.

Like most Fridays, I try to end the week with #2's favorite Salmon fish. Today it's Norwegian Salmon from the can! See, I cut the moon cakes horizontally too, just to get the egg yolk even though I know in a double egg yolk moon cake I'm bound to get something! Old habits die hard!

In the same Bento box, I had some Ritz biscuits to go with the Norwegian Salmon.



I got into a little 'debate' with #2 yesterday over the 'longan' which I gave her two days ago in her Bento box. She insists that they are 'mata kuching' and I think they are 'longan'. Honestly, I have no idea what they are because "I saw, I took and I paid" for them without asking for descriptions! Anyone recognize them?

There are some juicy rolled up carrots and kyuri (Japanese cucumbers) to accompany the meal. A sweet young lady left a comment in my post about the Japanese biscuits and informed that they are called `shiroi koibito`-white lovers?- A Hokkaido speciality. I put two into the top of the Bento box just for snack-king.

5 comments:

Emily said...

About the mata kuching and longan... cannot really say until tasting them! LOL

Yummy vegs on a stick!

I am Princess Misha's Mum said...

i think mata kuching fresh is thinner whereas longan has more fresh :)

allthingspurple said...

I thought it looks like mata kuching. small and thin, like Misha's mum said.

Love the carrots and kyuri roll up. How did you make it so thin? Do you have a particular peeler for it? I want to try that too, haha. This is something my 2 kids will definitely eat.

Bento Pet said...

emily, i am princess mishah's mum, allthingspurple: I'm quite sure that it's longan but #2 refutes otherwise. I think we've just decided to eat the rest up and not argue because either way - she likes her mata kuching and I like my longan! Fair and square!

Bento Pet said...

allthingspurple: about the carrot and kyuri roll, just use your regular peeler!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Learn a WORD a day!

How's your spelling?

Your Spelling is Perfect
You got 10/10 correct.

Your spelling is excellent. You also have a great memory and eye for detail.
You Are Cilantro
The bad news is that there are some people who can't stand you.
The good news is that most people love you more than anything else in the world.
You are distinct, unusual, fresh, and very controversial. And you wouldn't have it any other way.